IUCN NL and ICV are organising the third international REDD+ workshop of the Ecosystems Alliance.
The workshop will be held in Cuiaba, Brazil from 20 to 24 October 2014.
One of the aims of the workshop is to develop a common strategy to an integrated landscape approach to REDD+. Such an approach incentives activities and initiatives that are developed through multi-stakeholder processes, that respond to site-specific needs and that incorporate land use planning arrangements.
Each of our organisations have tremendous experience with initiatives and projects that can form the building blocks of the landscape approach. Examples are initiatives that achieve reduced deforestation, forest degradation and/ or forest restoration through:
- Payments for ecosystem services such as biodiversity, water
- Greening of value chains such as certification of agro-forestry commodities
- Marketing and value creation around NTFP value chains
- Legal frameworks aimed at the development of the rights of indigenous peoples and local communities
- Eradication of deforestation from agro-commodities value chains while promoting production intensification, in combination with land use planning
- Voluntary carbon projects that generate e.g. VCS, Gold Standard of Plan Vivo certified credits in combination with CCBA for REDD+, forest restoration, mangrove restoration or climate smart agriculture activities
- Forest conservation incentive programs that strengthen sustainable resource use and livelihoods of local communities.
- REDD+ readiness programs and jurisdictional frameworks with positive outcomes for communities and biodiversity conservation
The workshop will provide each participating organisation with the opportunity to present their experiences with such initiatives. Further, the workshop will provide a safe space to discuss how these elements can be combined to define an integrated landscape approach for REDD+.
Discussions will also concentrate on the way in which such an approach can contribute to a better alignment of the rather fragmented finance landscape of which REDD+ is part.
Concrete outputs will be
1) a joint position paper on an integrated landscape approach to REDD+, to be communicated at COP20 in Lima, the World Parks Congress, at the Standing Committee on Finance of the UNFCCC and other international policy making and donor environments
2) a joint acquisition strategy to access multilateral and bilateral funds as well as private sector finance.